You’ve gone through the steps of getting your bloodwork done and getting a prescription for TRT. Now how do you use it?
There are a few different brands of testosterone gel in Canada: AndroGel, Taro-Testosterone and Testim. Currently Fortesta and Vo are only available in the U.S.
When you receive your prescription, you’ll find it comes in a box of 30 packs. This will last you one month if your dose is 2.5g or 5g. It will last you 15 days if your dose is 10g (2 sachets x 5g).
How to Apply the Gel:
1. Squeeze about half the package onto your palm.
2. Apply the gel to your shoulder, upper arm or abdomen (where a T-shirt would cover). Your skin should be clean, dry and intact (no cuts or sunburns).
3. Squeeze the rest of the package onto your palm and apply to the other side of your body.
4. Thoroughly wash your hands with soap.
5. Once your skin is dry, put on your shirt to cover the area.
6. Wait at least five hours to swim, shower, or wash the application site.
7. Repeat every morning.
It’s especially important that women and children do not come into contact with the application site – an increase in testosterone can have major impacts on their health. If any skin-to-skin contact is going to occur, wash the area with soap and water beforehand.
If you absolutely must, it’s okay to wash off the gel after only one hour but you won’t be getting the full dose that day. Be sure the next day you keep it on for the minimum five hours.