Buy 2*, get 15% off (2 of the same generic)

Where to find an erectile dysfunction specialist?

There are a variety of doctors that can help in the treatment of erectile dysfunction, since there are many different causes for erectile dysfunction. These doctors include:

  • Family doctors: Doctors that have knowledge in the diagnosis and treatment of a large variety of common diseases, including erectile dysfunction.
  • Urologists: Doctors that have specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the urinary tract and male reproductive organs.
  • Endocrinologists: Endocrinologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to the levels of hormones in the body, including the male sex hormone testosterone. 
  • Psychiatrists: Psychiatrists are doctors that specialize in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions.

Which specialist you see depends on the cause of your erectile dysfunction. These specialists can work in a variety of different settings, including hospitals or private medical clinics. Read on to find out more about erectile dysfunction specialists.


How do I get an appointment with an erectile dysfunction specialist?

To see an erectile dysfunction specialist, you first need a family doctor to refer you to them. Your doctor will conduct an assessment and decide whether you would benefit from an appointment with a specialist. Typically, the steps to see an erectile dysfunction specialist are to:

  1. Book an appointment with a primary care doctor (Family doctor or walk-in clinic)
  2. Get a referral to see a medical specialist
  3. Set up an appointment with the specialist’s office

Erectile dysfunction is personal. If you have preferences for the medical specialist you see, for example, if you prefer a male doctor, it is a good idea to state this upfront to your family doctor. Your comfort and preferences should always be considered as a top priority by your medical team. 


What do erectile dysfunction specialists do?

Medical specialists that treat erectile dysfunction also treat a number of other conditions. For example, urologists diagnose and treat all conditions relating to the male urinary tract and male reproductive organs. Some conditions urologists treat include:

  • Urinary tract infections
  • Male infertility
  • Enlarged prostate, or benign prostatic hyperplasia
  • Cancers of the prostate, bladder, testicles, or kidneys
  • Incontinence

As mentioned previously, erectile dysfunction can also be caused by hormonal conditions or psychological conditions, which endocrinologists and psychiatrists, respectively, are specially trained to diagnose and treat. 


Who needs to see an erectile dysfunction specialist?

Not everyone with erectile dysfunction needs to see a medical specialist.  Your doctor might refer you to a specialist if:

  • You do not have major risk factors for erectile dysfunction (cardiovascular disease, obesity, smoking), but still have symptoms of erectile dysfunction
  • You have tried multiple medications for erectile dysfunction and they were ineffective
  • They suspect your erectile dysfunction is caused by psychological condition
  • They suspect your erectile dysfunction is caused by a hormonal condition
  • They suspect your erectile dysfunction is caused by an anatomical condition.

Your healthcare team will help you to manage your erectile dysfunction according to your preferences. It is important to voice any concerns you have regarding your condition to your healthcare team.

Related posts